2.28.2014

Vanity Re-Do, Part 2



Hello hello!  I've been out of town and busy with quite a bit of school work (grad school), so I honestly haven't had a chance until now to post the finished product.  I have to say, I've looked at my fair share of furniture renovations, and always thought they looked so simple.  This was manageable work, but now I possess new-found respect for all of these people who put their work out there for the internet to judge.  I'll look at all of their projects with much more humbled thoughts!

First of all, I said I needed my husband to help me separate the frame from the stool padding.  He helped alright.  I didn't see the screws that attached through the bottom of the frame!  How silly!  Once I unscrewed them, it was SO much easier to pry off the rest of the staples and get that old lady fabric off!  Don't you love the mess?

I found this fabric for a different project, but decided I'd rather use it here, because it'll go so well with the shade of the vanity.  I used quite a bit of coverage, because I didn't want to have any wood exposed.  My future children will use this eventually!

With an extra set of hands, it was easy to use my new staple gun and attach the fabric as tightly as possible.

My corners are REALLY ugly, mostly because, like I said before, I'm very impatient.  I am not fastidious about stuff like this...

I also had to finish spray painting the actual frame.  It looks extremely streaky here, but that's just because it was still drying.  (This is a necklace compartment on the side.)



Here's a view of all the mess while it was drying.  That's my husband walking out of frame in the background.  Excuse the messy garage.

For finishing details, I actually used a cheap acrylic paint to "update" the hardware for now.  I'm putting the vanity in our bedroom, where I have already used the same paint on our dresser (the next post!), so I thought it would match.  Unfortunately, different hardware means different reaction.  The gold here is pretty cheesy-looking, but at least it matches.  To paint easily, take a paper plate or cardboard and poke the screws through so the knobs stand up fairly well.  This makes it easier to get all the exposed angles and let the dry evenly.

Finally, here it is in all its glory!  I love it!





Total Cost:
Vanity                    $0           Already had it!
Spray paint            $10         Approximately, since I needed three cans
Sandpaper             $3           Approximately
Cloth                     $0           Already had it!
Breathing mask      $8            I got a nice one, so I can reuse it
Drop cloth             $1            I bought a pack of three for $3, but only used one
Screw driver          $0           Already had it!
Acrylic paint          $0           Already had it!
Staple gun             $14          I had to buy one, and the staples, but I'll definitely reuse it!
Spray paint            $4            I provided a link to this one, which I LOVED!  Kept my hands happy!
handle

Final thoughts / tips:
1. Don't cut corners.  I really tried to drop steps as I went along, including sanding less and less with each part.  This showed through, at least for the first spray.  I also realized later I could have removed the mirror from the frame and get a better coat, but didn't do it then.  This was a mistake.  I ended up having to anyway, because you could see the unpainted wood reflection at the edges.

2. Let everything dry properly and cure.  I accidentally scratched off some paint about an hour after the first coat, but about 24 hours later, I couldn't make those scratches anymore because it had finished sealing.

2. Spray a second coat.  The first time, you could see sanding marks.  Not cute.

3. Have fun!  I am extremely proud of my first venture for the blog.  I feel like a real innovative, crafty person!

Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment