2.28.2014

$5 Dresser update!


Hello!  I have another post on the heels of my vanity update.  Our bedroom is very nice, but quite plain.  We purchased this dresser when we realized we couldn't hold out any longer.  I don't know where you stand on the whole IKEA debate -- do you love it or hate it?  I absolutely love it, mostly because I'm in my first home, so I have no previous experience buying furniture.  It's all so expensive and still boring/ugly!  I love IKEA's colors, designs, and sturdy construction.

My father and mother, God bless them, helped me put together almost all of our many IKEA purchases while Mr. M was at work.  My dad's one of those jack-of-all-trades, crafty, DIY repairmen types who's opinion I trust more than any other about craftsmanship and quality.  He says the designs are well-put together, especially for their price.  I'll probably keep buying their stuff for years to come!

Anyway, the one drawback I see to IKEA is how popular they are!  Everyone has it, or knows when it is IKEA.  I don't want my home to look like every other newlywed couple!  For this reason, I decided to glam up our dresser for my starting improvement.  I've seen this hack but frankly didn't like how clear the lines were.  It was just too structured and cutesy for me.  However, it gave me ideas.

I used to hate gold, but for some reason picked it as one of our wedding colors.  Since then, it seems it's back in style.  All the examples on Pinterest coalesced into my final product!

SUPPLIES


Folkart acrylic paint (pure gold) - I owned left-over from my wedding, but it costs about $3 for a full bottle
Sponge brush - I owned a whole pack, but I only used one, which couldn't have cost more than $1
Tape - We bought this for about $2 on sale at Office Depot about a year ago

We washi-taped our dresser immediately after we built it.  He had his side to decorate, I had mine.  It was nice, but clashed too much for me.

Directions:
There aren't really any!  I used the tape already on the dresser to tape off the edges, poured the paint onto the sponge box, and then dabbed it on!  I liked the brush effect I got--reminded me of a Rothko consistency.  You may want to do yours differently.  It also depends on the back color.  This dresser has a lovely, porous consistency, so it didn't need any sanding or prep, and really sank in beautifully.  The knobs were easy to change with the same paint.

BEFORE


PREP


FINISHED PRODUCT




Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment